Saturday, December 30, 2006

Alternative Legal Careers

Many readers have been asking me for my list of Alternative Legal Careers. I misplaced my original list when my old computer crashed. But, here's what I remember from it:

  • Polititian (As a matter of fact, fourteen of Canada's twenty prime ministers were, or continue to be, lawyers. Among the prime ministers who were not lawyers was a doctor, a diplomat, a labour expert, and a printer - and once you are done politicing, then maybe you'll be ready to return like this guy did.)
  • Legal researcher
  • Business Executive (here is a compelling case for lawyer-CEO's)
  • Consultant
  • Member of various Board of Directors (I have heard of some people who actually make a living doing this!)
  • Lawyer for Contract (have a say in your hours and types of work!)
  • Legal Publishing (what we say "where lawyers go to die" or "where law students get overpaid whilst studying")
  • Policy work - in government
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Law Professor (you only need an LL.M. in Canada to do this)
  • Author (Any future John Grisham’s out there?)
  • Sports Agent – almost every one I have ever known was a lawyer or had a law degree
  • Full time Mediator
If you have further ideas for alternative legal careers, please post them in the comments section. Thanks!

No comments: