Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Which undergrad works best for pre-law?

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Very busy with a couple of heavy litigation files.

Lots of people have asked me what the best undergraduate program is for prepping yourself for law school. This question usually evokes two prongs: 1) what is the best content to prep you for law school; 2) how can I ensure that my GPA will be sufficient to make me a competitive applicant.

This is a very subjective subject. There is a great discussion at lawstudents.ca on this very subject. You may want to add to that discussion.

I'll give you my $0.02. My law school class was full of a huge diversity of people. We had a class of about 175 people. There were people from Poli-Sci, Psychology, Business, MBA, English, Philosophy, Chemistry, Biology, Military College, etc. There were some people with two degrees, some with Masters, some with Doctorates. Who did the best? Again, unpredictable. A scientist, a policital scientist, an English major...

I liked one comment on lawstudents.ca that implied that your grades are more dependant on the time that you put in. I would also add innate intelligence. Do your homework - find out what programs have reputations of having very low curves, and what ones have high curves. Choose a program that you are passionate about. Chances are that a part of your undergraduate program will follow you throughout your career. My uncle wanted to be an opera singer when he started his undergrad. He realized he needed a better paying career for his family, and went into law. Later in life, he remembered his passion and was a participant in many musicals. He decided he was more "artsy" and went into environmental law, and is loving it.

For myself, my English degree follows me everywhere I go. I love to write, to read, and to analyze written material. I can't seem to get away from publishing, editing and writing. I love that part of life, and it serves me well in my new career as a lawyer too.

Study hard, get the best grades you can. Take fun classes too - stuff you can get good grades in, while creating memories along the way. Prepare for the LSAT early on if you are able, and read my book - it really will help to pave the way for your new career as a lawyer.

2 comments:

George said...

Aw, it was an extremely good post. In thought I would like to set up writing similar to this additionally – taking time and actual effort to create a very good article… but exactly what do I say… I procrastinate alot and also no means manage to go done. https://www.gpwlaw-mi.com/how-to-file-a-mesothelioma-claim/

Mark Din said...

Probate lawyers offer their services for the settlement and distribution of your assets after you have passed away. Probate lawyers can be hired in situations where you have a will and also in situations where you haven't decided on a will. Deciding whether to hire a probate lawyer or not is a decision that keeps a lot of people confused. In this article, we look at certain reasons why choosing the services of a probate collin county texas attorney might prove to be beneficial for you.